Please turn on JavaScript

Brooks Wilson's Economics Blog: Bah Humbug

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bah Humbug

(HT Drudge Report)

From Australia

SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

I wonder what other parts of my spending offends these scientists.

Dr. Glenn Platt, said the nation's electricity came from "centralised carbon intensive, coal-based power stations" which were responsible for emitting over one third of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.

The hot air put out by Dr. Platt exceeds greenhouse emissions from Christmas lights.

3 comments:

  1. "Energy efficient festive bulbs?" Wow, just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever heard that Christmas lights are bad for the planet. If they are I wonder if we go without them what it would do for our Christmas spirit. My grand daughter told me it isn't the lights, it isn't the gifts it is all about family. I hear her saying that I but I think she would be one unhappy little girl without the lights and toys. Most people take the kids and drive around looking at all the lights and displays..are we going to turn them off....Not hardly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well, my 9 year old grand daughter told me, grandma Bea it isn't the tree or the lights or the presents it is all about family and if I could have my daddy home from Afghanistan I could do without it all. So turn out the lights and bring these guys home!!

    ReplyDelete